York City Property Tax Information
Each year the City Council, the County Commissioners and the York City School Board establish a tax millage. This millage, when multiplied against the assessed value of your property, results in the Face tax due. State law allows for a 2% discount, if paid within 60 days (Rebate) and a 10% penalty, if it is not paid within 120 days (Penalty)
Property and school taxes may be paid at the Office of the City Treasurer, York City Hall, 101 South George St., P.O. Box 509, York, PA 17405 during business hours Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. City Hall is handicapped accessible and FREE parking is available in the parking lot located beside the York City Hall building off of George Street. Look for the sign that reads "York City Hall Customer Parking".
Our office accepts CASH, PERSONAL & CERTIFIED CHECKS and MONEY ORDERS. We currently do NOT accept debit and credit cards but we will accept checks received from credit card companies.
Checks should be made payable to Treasurer, City of York. Please note the DISTRICT & PROPERTY ID NUMBERS (i.e. ##-###-##-######-#####) on your CHECK Memo area. We do not use bill numbers.
For a validated receipt, please send the entire bill with a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
We do not send copies of tax bills to mortgage companies. Therefore, if you receive a tax bill, but have an escrow, you must forward the bill to your mortgage company.
PLEASE MAKE SURE WE HAVE YOUR CORRECT MAILING ADDRESS! Per the York City Ordinance, "the real estate tax notice shall be mailed to the last known post office address of each taxable parcel. Failure to receive the notice shall not relieve any taxpayer from the payment of any taxes imposed by the City". The postmark applied by the United States Postal Service to envelopes containing payment is used to determine timeliness for mailed payments.
The Treasurer’s Office cannot collect delinquent taxes (prior year) nor can we answer any delinquent tax questions. All delinquent tax inquiries should be forwarded to the York County Tax Claim Bureau located at 28 E Market St, York PA 17401. You may contact their office at 717-771-9205.
Current year tax amounts are not available online. If you are a settlement company, you will need to request a Tax Certification.
If you cannot find the information you need, you may contact us at 717-849-2281.
(Click on the RED header to view information)
- Tax Calculator
- Tax Due Dates
County/Municipal Tax dated 2/15/15
- Rebate due on or before April 15, 2015
- Face due on or before June 15, 2015
- Penalty due after June 15, 2015 but before December 31, 2015
York City School Tax dated 7/1/15
- Rebate due on or before August 31, 2015
- Face due on or before October 31, 2015
- Penalty due after October 31, 2015 but before December 31, 2015
NOTE: BE SURE TO NOTE THE DISTRICT NUMBER AND PROPERTY ID NUMBER ON YOUR CHECK! (District # and Property ID# = Parcel #) DO NOT USE BILL NUMBER.
NOTE: ANY CHANGES IN THE OWNER'S MAILING ADDRESS MUST BE MADE IN WRITING TO THE TREASURER'S OFFICE AND MUST BE SIGNED AND DATED
If payment is received during the REBATE period, a 2% discount is deducted from the FACE amount (does not apply to partial payments).
If payment is received after the FACE due date, a 10% penalty is added to the UNPAID BALANCE.
- Partial Payments
Current law allows for you to make FOUR partial payments. Partial payments are allowed on municipal (City) and school taxes only. No discounts are allowed on partial payments.
County taxes must be paid in FULL with the first payment.
To calculate City/County payment:
- City Tax FACE Amount: $_____________
- Divide by 4 =
- Subtotal $_____________
Add County tax amt. $_____________
TOTAL Payment $_____________
Your total payment is your first payment. The amount on Line 3 (subtotal) will be your second, third and fourth payments if paid on or before June 15, 2015.
To calculate school payment:
- School Tax face amount $_______________
- Divide by 4 =
- Payment $________________
Any payment not made by the face due date will be subject to the 10% penalty.
When paying by MAIL, US Postmark from the US Post Office determines when it is received in our office. Check date is NOT used.
For a VALIDATED RECEIPT, please send the ENTIRE BILL with a SELF-ADDRESSED, STAMPED envelope.
If using an Internet bill paying system, please be sure to include the $3 MEMO BILL FEE along with the DISTRICT AND PARCEL NUMBERS NOTED ON CHECK.
- Address Change Form
In order to have future tax bills sent to the correct name and address, please complete, sign and date the form below and return to the City Treasurer's Office. We will then forward the change to the York County Assessment Office so they can make the change on your records.
- Miscellaneous Fees
- Return Check Fee - $ 35.00Tax Certification Fee - $ 20.00Duplicate Bill Fee - $ 3.00Paid Printout of Tax Record - $ 1.00
- Delinquent Taxes (previous year taxes)
Delinquent taxes (previous year taxes) must be paid at the York County Tax Claim Bureau located at 28 E. Market St., York, PA 17401.They only accept certified checks or money orders. Please call them for final payoff amounts and any questions at (717) 771-9205 or visit: http://yorkcountypa.gov/images/pdf/delinquentlist/dt510payor.pdf
If the 2015 taxes are not paid by DECEMBER 31, 2015, they will be forwarded to the York County Tax Claim Bureau.
- York Adams Tax Bureau (Earned Income & Mercantile/Business Privilege Tax)
The York Adams Tax Bureau collects and distributes earned income tax for 124 municipalities and school districts in York and Adams Counties. All residents of Adams County and all residents of York County (except West Shore School District) file their annual earned income tax returns with YATB. The Bureau also collects Local Services Tax, Delinquent Per Capita Tax and Mercantile/Business Privilege Tax for some of its members.
Please complete the form below if you are a new resident or if you have a change of address.
York County residents may contact theTaxpayer Services Department at 717-845-1584, option 1, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
1405 N. Duke St.
PO Box 15627
York, PA 17405
Phone (717) 845-1584
Fax (717) 854-6376
- Downtown Inc is the trade name for a joint venture between the York Business Improvement District Authority and Main Street York, a 501(c)(3) not for profit.Together they work to enhance and foster reinvestment in downtown York. The organization is comprised of a staff of six, a Board of eleven Directors, and more than 125 dedicated and committed volunteers.Those volunteers serve in various capacities on standing committees that support the mission of the organization which is:"to provide a distinctive experience for living, working and recreation in York’s downtown district. We provide an environment that is unique in the region by blending the architectural foundation laid nearly 300 years ago with modern, urban living and entertainment in a business-friendly atmosphere."
YBIDA fees - are applied to efforts and programming in the areas of Safety, Promotions and Events, Beautification and Economic Development.Downtown, Inc.16 N George StYork, PA 17401(717) 849-2331
- Fire Escrow Act 98
The Treasurer’s Office administers the Fire Escrow Act 98. If the fire loss equals or exceeds 60% of the limits of liability, the insurance company shall transfer to the City Treasurer $2,000 for each $15,000 or fraction from the insurance proceeds. [Act 98 of 1992 Sec. 508 (c)].Fire Escrow checks should be mailed to the Office of the City Treasurer, York City Hall, 101 South George St., P.O. Box 509, York, PA 17405. Checks should be made payable to Treasurer, City of York.You may contact Kristen Wolfe at email@example.com or call 717-849-2281 for any questions.
- Contact Information for Special Programs, State and County Offices
- YORK COUNTY ADMINISTRATIVE BLDG.28 E. Market St.York, PA 17401York County Assessment Office *(717) 771-9232AssessmentsAppealsYork County Tax Claim Bureau *(717) 771-9205Delinquent TaxesJudicial Sales & Upset SalesYork County Treasurer(717) 771-9603Small Games of Chance LicenseYork County Dog LicenseDeer License & Doe TagsFishing LicenseRecorder of Deeds Office(717) 771-9295Filing of DeedPA Dept of Revenue(717) 783-1405(717) 783-4447 faxStrawberry Square4th & Walnut StreetsHarrisburg, PA 17128Housing/State Rent RebateSheriff’s Office of York County(717) 771-960145 N. George St.York, PA 17401Sheriff SalesGun PermitsYork County Prothonotary Office(717) 771-961145 N. George St.York, PA 17401LiensPassportsProtection from Abuse OrdersYork County Area Agency on Aging100 W Market StYork, PA 17401(717) 771-9610Aging ServicesState Tax Rebate Form QuestionsKevin Schreiber, State Representative95th Legislative DistrictYork City Hall101 S George St, 2nd FlYork, PA 17401(717)-848-9595
- Disabled Veterans Real Estate Tax Exemption Program
- Purpose: To provide real estate tax exemption for any honorably discharged veteran who is 100% disabled, a resident of the Commonwealth and has a financial need.Veteran’s eligibility criteria:Served in the military honorablyServed during established war service dates as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs **The following decorations can also be used to establish wartime service: Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal or Navy Expeditionary Medal.Must have a total or 100% permanent service-connected disability rating by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or as the result of military service the veteran is blind or paraplegic or has sustained the loss of two or more limbsBlind: Visual acuity of three-sixtieths or ten two-hundredths, or less normal VisionParaplegic: The bilateral paralysis of the upper or lower extremities of the bodyMust be a resident of the CommonwealthMust occupy the real estate as his/her principal dwellingDwelling is owned solely by the veteran or as an estate in the entiretyMust prove financial need:Veteran must prove financial need according to the criteria established by the State Veterans Commission if their annual income exceeds $85,168Applicants with an annual income of $85,168 or less are given a rebuttable presumption to have a need for the exemption.Contact the York County Veterans Affairs Director to apply:Phillip Palandro100 West Market StYork, PA 17401-1332(717)-771-9218(717)771-4617 (fax)
- Tax Certification Requests
Please mail your request along with payment to the York City Treasurer’s Office located at 101 S George St, York, PA 17401. You may call our office at 717-849-2281 for any questions or to check the status of your request.PaymentOur fee for a Tax Certification is $20.00 per parcel. The Tax Certification will include current and prior year tax amounts for City, County and School. Checks should be made payable to Treasurer, City of York.Processing TimeYour request will be processed in the order in which it was received. Normal processing time, once we receive your request, is 1-2 business days.DeliveryYou may request to have the Tax Certification mailed, e-mailed or faxed to you.Tax Cerification Request Form
- Homestead Exclusion
If this is your primary residence, you may be eligible for the property tax reduction on school taxes. Applications must be submitted to the York County Assessment Office by March 1st of every year to be eligible for the current year. You will be notified when approved. Please contact the York County Assessment Office for more information.
York County Assessment Office28 E Market St.York PA 17401717-771-9270
- Pennsylvania Property Tax or Rent Rebate Program
- The rebate program benefits eligible Pennsylvanians age 65 and older; widows and widowers age 50 and older; and people with disabilities age 18 and older. The income limit is $35,000 a year for homeowners and $15,000 annually for renters, and half of Social Security income is excluded.The deadline to apply for a rebate on property taxes or rent paid in 2013 is June 30, 2014. Revenue will begin mailing and depositing rebates on July 1, 2014, as specified by law.Property Tax/Rent Rebate application forms and assistance are available at no cost from PA Department of Revenue district offices, local Area Agencies on Aging, senior centers and your State Representative’s Office. Contact information is below:PA Department of RevenueProperty Tax or Rent Rebate ProgramPO Box 280503Harrisburg PA 17128-0503717-783-1405Call 888-728-2937 to check the status of your claim.Area Agency on Aging – York County100 W Market St, # 1York PA 17401717-771-9610State Representative, Kevin SchreiberYork City Hall101 S George St, 2nd FloorYork PA 17401717-848-9595