York City Tax Information
- How are tax rates determined?
Each year the City through York City Council, the County through the York County Commissioners and the School District through the City School Board establish a tax millage. This millage, when multiplied against the assessed value of your property, results in the Face tax due. State law allows for a 2% discount, if paid within 60 days (rebate) and a 10% penalty, if not paid within 120 days (penalty).
- When are taxes due?
County/Municipal Tax dated 2/15/14
- Rebate due on or before April 15, 2014
- Face due on or before June 16, 2014
- Penalty due after June 16, 2014 but before December 31, 2014.
York City School Tax dated 7/1/14
- Rebate due on or before August 31, 2014
- Face due on or before October 31, 2014
- Penalty due after October 31, 2014 but before December 31, 2014
NOTE: BE SURE TO NOTE THE DISTRICT NUMBER AND PROPERTY ID NUMBER ON YOUR CHECK! (District # and Property ID# = Parcel #) DO NOT USE BILL NUMBER.
NOTE: ANY CHANGES IN THE OWNER'S MAILING ADDRESS MUST BE MADE IN WRITING TO THE TREASURER'S OFFICE AND MUST BE SIGNED AND DATED
If payment is received during the REBATE period, a 2% discount is deducted from the FACE amount (does not apply to partial payments).
If payment is received after the FACE due date, a 10% penalty is added to the UNPAID BALANCE.
- Can I make partial payments?
Current law allows for you to make FOUR partial payments. Partial payments are allowed on municipal (City) and school taxes only. No discounts are allowed on partial payments.
County taxes must be paid in FULL with the first payment.
To calculate City/County payment:
- City Tax FACE Amount: $_____________
- Divide by 4 =
- Subtotal $_____________
Add County tax amt. $_____________
TOTAL Payment $_____________
Your total payment is your first payment. The amount on Line 3 (subtotal) will be your second, third and fourth payments if paid on or before June 16, 2014.
To calculate school payment:
- School Tax face amount $_______________
- Divide by 4 =
- Payment $________________
Any payment not made by the face due date will be subject to the 10% penalty.
When paying by MAIL, US Postmark from the US Post Office determines when it is received in our office. Check date is NOT used.
For a VALIDATED RECEIPT, please send the ENTIRE BILL with a SELF-ADDRESSED, STAMPED envelope.
If using an Internet bill paying system, please be sure to include the $3 MEMO BILL FEE along with the DISTRICT AND PARCEL NUMBERS NOTED ON CHECK.
- What if my taxes are escrowed into my mortgage payment?
If your taxes are escrowed into your mortgage payment, YOU MUST FORWARD the tax bill to the mortgage company. The Treasurer's Office DOES NOT forward tax bills to mortgage companies.
- Where do I pay my property and school taxes?
Property and school taxes may be paid at the Office of the City Treasurer, York City Hall, 101 S George Street during business hours Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office is closed on major holidays. City Hall is handicapped accessible and FREE parking is available in the parking lot located beside the York City Hall building off of George Street. Look for the sign that reads "York City Hall Customer Parking".
Please make checks payable to Treasurer, City of York, 101 South George St., P.O. Box 509, York, PA 17405-0509.
For a validated receipt, please send the entire bill with a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
NOTE: Hand-delivered payments must be received at the Treasurer's Office by 5:00 p.m. on each due date. Please DO NOT leave payments.They will not be accepted.
For more information please call the City Treasurer’s office at 717-849-2281.
Payment Without Tax Bill - $3
Tax Certification - $20
Returned Checks - $35
- What are delinquent taxes?
Any taxes which are due from previous years.
- Where do you pay delinquent taxes?
Delinquent taxes (previous year taxes) must be paid at the York County Tax Claim Bureau located at 28 E. Market St., York, PA 17401.They only accept certified checks or money orders. Please call them for final payoff amounts and any questions at (717) 771-9205.
If the 2014 taxes are not paid by DECEMBER 31, 2014, they will be forwarded to the York County Tax Claim Bureau.
- How do I update my address information?
- Contact Information for Special Programs, State and County Offices
- YORK COUNTY ADMINISTRATIVE BLDG.28 E. Market St.York, PA 17401www.yorkcountypa.govYork County Assessment Office *(717) 771-9232AssessmentsAppealsYork County Tax Claim Bureau *(717) 771-9205Delinquent TaxesJudicial Sales & Upset SalesYork County Treasurer(717) 771-9603Small Games of Chance LicenseYork County Dog LicenseDeer License & Doe TagsFishing LicenseRecorder of Deeds Office(717) 771-9295Filing of DeedYork Adams Tax Bureau(717) 845-15841405 North Duke StreetP.O. Box 15627York, PA 17405-0156Earned Income TaxBusiness Privilege TaxMercantile TaxLocal Services TaxPA Dept of Revenue(717) 783-1405(717) 783-4447 faxStrawberry Square4th & Walnut StreetsHarrisburg, PA 17128Housing/State Rent RebateSheriff’s Office of York County(717) 771-960145 N. George St.York, PA 17401Sheriff SalesGun PermitsYork County Prothonotary Office(717) 771-961145 N. George St.York, PA 17401LiensPassportsProtection from Abuse OrdersDowntown Inc16 N George StYork, PA 17401(717) 549-2331www.downtownyorkpa.comYBIDA fees - are applied to efforts and programming in the areas of Safety, Promotions and Events, Beautification and Economic Development.York County Area Agency on Aging100 W Market StYork, PA 17401(717) 771-9610www.ycaaa.orgAging ServicesState Tax Rebate Form Questions.
- York Adams Tax Bureau
The York Adams Tax Bureau collects and distributes earned income tax for 124 municipalities and school districts in York and Adams Counties. All residents of Adams County and all residents of York County (except West Shore School District) file their annual earned income tax returns with YATB. The Bureau also collects Local Services Tax, Delinquent Per Capita Tax and Mercantile/Business Privilege Tax for some of its members.
Please complete the form below if you are a new resident or if you have a change of address.
York County residents may contact theTaxpayer Services Department at 717-845-1584, option 1, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
1405 N. Duke St.
PO Box 15627
York, PA 17405
Phone (717) 845-1584
Fax (717) 854-6376
- Homestead Exclusion
If this is your primary residence, you may be eligible for the property tax reduction on school taxes. Applications must be submitted to the York County Assessment Office by March 1st of every year to be eligible for the current year. You will be notified when approved. Please contact the York County Assessment Office for more information.
York County Assessment Office28 E Market St.York PA 17401717-771-9270
- Pennsylvania Property Tax or Rent Rebate Program
- The rebate program benefits eligible Pennsylvanians age 65 and older; widows and widowers age 50 and older; and people with disabilities age 18 and older. The income limit is $35,000 a year for homeowners and $15,000 annually for renters, and half of Social Security income is excluded.The deadline to apply for a rebate on property taxes or rent paid in 2013 is June 30, 2014. Revenue will begin mailing and depositing rebates on July 1, 2014, as specified by law.Property Tax/Rent Rebate application forms and assistance are available at no cost from PA Department of Revenue district offices, local Area Agencies on Aging, senior centers and your State Representative’s Office. Contact information is below:PA Department of RevenueProperty Tax or Rent Rebate ProgramPO Box 280503Harrisburg PA 17128-0503717-783-1405Call 888-728-2937 to check the status of your claim.Area Agency on Aging – York County100 W Market St, # 1York PA 17401717-771-9610State Representative, Kevin SchreiberYork City Hall101 S George St, 2nd FloorYork PA 17401717-848-9595