York City's 275th Anniversary

Follow us on Twitter Friend us on Facebook Receive City Updates
{ Live, work, play in York. }


Sewer & Refuse Information

Sewer & Refuse Billing

Please contact the Sewer Rental office for questions regarding your billing @717-849-2268  Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Click here for Sewer Rebate Form


The City of York has approximately 14,000 sewer customers receiving monthly bills. Charges for both the Sewer and Refuse are combined on one bill. 

The sewer bill is based on water usage information obtained from the York Water Company. The current rate is $8.75 per 1,000 gallons of water. The minimum monthly sewer charge is $18.00.

The City offers a rebate for property owners over the age of 65 with a total income of less than $20,000 per year -or- a property owner who is permanently disabled. Forms are available in April each year and may be obtained by calling the Sewer Office (717-849-2268) or by stopping by the office at 101 South George Street. Completed forms must be received no later than June 1 each year. All rebates are reflected on the July bills.

Customers who fill a pool are entitled to a pool-credit once per year. Please call the Sewer Office at 717-849-2268 to place your request. The credit will be given after the high water usage is reflected on your sewer bill.

Bills are payable by mail, auto-pay, walk-in and online at www.YorkCity.org online services. Payments may also be dropped off 24 hours a day in the vestibule of City Hall. We accept cash, check, Mastercard, Visa, or Discover when paying in person.

If you are interested in signing up for automatic payment, forms are available in the Sewer Rental Office. Payments will automatically be deducted from your savings or checking account each month.


The Refuse fee(s) is included on the sewer bill issued every month. For residential, the refuse charge is based on the number of dwelling units in the property and covers costs related to curbside collection of trash, recycling, yardwaste and scheduled large items. Revenue generated from the refuse charge also helps to cover cost associated with street sweeping and snow removal throughout the City.

For information or questions concerning your sewer and refuse invoice please call 717-849-2268.

One residential unit is currently charged $25.85 per month.

One commercial unit is charged $51.70 per month.

The minimum administrative fee for refuse is $8.25 per month.

To find out what the curbside collection days are for your property, call 717-843-1240 (Monday-Thursday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.)

Refuse Contract with Republic Services, dba York Waste Disposal

Republic Services (dba York Waste Disposal) is our contracted hauler for curbside collections since May 1, 2013 and continuing through April 30, 2021.


Refuse Rules

Household trash must be placed in a plastic or metal trash can with a lid and handles or in a securely tied trash bag. (Maximum can/bag: 32-gallons and 40 pounds) Oversized "contractor" trash bags, large tote carts, small grocery bags, cardboard boxes and baskets should NOT be used for household trash.

55-Gallon drums and other non-authorized containers, some with homemade handles cut into the sides, pose a risk of hand and back injuries to refuse collectors. Therefore, drums and other miscellaneous containers that are not manufactured and sold specifically for trash storage, may be disposed of as illegally placed trash and no refunds will be given. Regular curbside customers are NOT permitted to use large "tote cart" style trash cans or "contractor" size trash bags that exceed 32 gallons.

Refuse Classifications

Residential 1 and Commercial 1 customers may place up to 6 bags/cans of trash at their designated collection point twice per week on the designated collection days..

Disposing of Used Motor Oil

Outlets for used motor oil are ever changing. Contact the York County Solid Waste & Refuse Auth. at 845-1066 or check www.ycswa.com for the most up-to-date listing of facilities throughout York County that accept used motor oil.

Normal Household Batteries

Place small household batteries in small quantities in trash bags along with regular trash.

Household Hazardous Waste

Call York County Solid Waste Authority at 717-845-1066 for their next scheduled HHW collection event.


All customers must flatten and bundle cardboard boxes with twine. (Maximum bundle size: 3' x 3' x 1' and 40 pounds)  Cardboard MUST be recycled on your first collection day each week.  Cardboard will NOT be collected as trash.


Small quantities of building lumber may be placed for regular trash collection. Wood must be cut down and bundled. (Maximum bundle size: 3' long and 40 pounds) Each bundle replaces a bag of trash.


Customers may place up to 2 passenger tires, off the rim, for regular trash collection. Each tire replaces a bag of trash. However, tires on the rim must be scheduled in advance for a large-item collection by calling 717-843-1240, Monday - Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Paint and Paint Products

Seal containers of paint and paint products and place them in small quantities, with regular trash in securely tied trash bags.

Large Items

Normal household items that do not fit the weight and size limits for regular trash must be scheduled as "Large-Items." York City refuse customers may schedule up to (5) five household furniture, appliance and other bulky items each week, as needed, year-round. Large-item collections are part of the regular curbside service and there is no additional fee to schedule large-items. However, the items must be scheduled in advance.There are other items that are also excluded from the large-item collection program. Customers must dispose of these items by private arrangement.

Call 717-843-1240 Monday - Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. to schedule a large item collection.


Electronic Items 

Effective January 24, 2013, Pennsylvania passed a law that prohibits collection and disposal of TVs, Computers and all items that plug into a computer (i.e. mouse, keyboard, modem, printer, monitor, etc).  These items must be taken to an Electronics Recycling Event.

Electronic (E-Cycle) Program Nearby:

YORK COUNTY SOLID WASTE AUTHORITY - York County RESIDENTS Only may deliver to YCSWA on Flour Mill Rd, in Manchester every week on Tues/Wed/Thurs 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM.  This contracted service will be available thru the end of 2016.  Other options are being looked into for the future.   For more information, contact the YCSWA at 717-845-1066 or www.ycswa.com (*New E-Cycle Program hours effective 11/8/16)