York City Light Up Night
Friday, December 6, 2013
5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Continental Square in Downtown York
Light Up Night is a multicultural celebration that features live entertainment, family-friendly activities, food, carol singalongs, the lighting of the York City Christmas Tree, and the arrival of the most important guest, Santa. Fun for the whole family!
PLEASE NOTE -- DUE TO THE WEATHER FORECAST, SOME OF THE ORIGINAL PLANS HAVE CHANGED.
The Tree Lighting Ceremony will still take place beginning 6:20 p.m. at Continental Square. We encourage you to come downtown early and enjoy entertainment and activities at Central Market and the Strand-Capitol. To receive updates, please like our page on Facebook (www.facebook.com/YorkCitySpecialEvents) or follow @YorkCityEvents on Twitter. We thank you for your understanding.
Scroll to the bottom of this page to download an event map and entertainment schedule.
Planned Event Highlights (please note that weather may force some last-minute changes):
- Live entertainment: holiday music, including carols, and dance performances. Performers include students from New Hope School of the Arts (5:15 inside the Capitol Theatre), members of the William Penn High School Symphonic Band (5:30 inside Central Market), and Greater York Dance (5:45 inside the Capitol Theatre). The tree lighting ceremony will begin immediately following the entertainment, at 6:20 p.m.
- Complimentary hot chocolate provided by The Salvation Army at Continental Square.
- Toys for Tots collection point has been moved indoors to Central Market, near Bair's Fried Chicken. Bonus: everyone who donates a new unwrapped toy may enter a drawing to win a $50 gift certificate to Central Family Restaurant. Bonus: The first 25 people who donate a toy will also receive a $10 gift card to Central Family Restaurant.
- Lighting of the Christmas tree* -- All youngsters in attendance may enter a drawing for a chance to help Mayor Bracey light the tree. Be sure to stop by the registration table (under a 10x10 tent) near the tree when you arrive at Continental Square and provide your name.
- William Penn Music Boosters will be conducting a bake sale in the lobby of the Capitol Theatre.
- Bricker's Famous French Fries will be located at Continental Square.
- Sucre Sale (French-style crepes) will be sold under the Strand Theatre marquee.
- Qdoba Mexican Grill will be serving free samples of gumbo and tortilla soup, while supplies last, under the Strand Theatre marquee.
- Girl Scout Troop 20501 will offer a game and craft activity inside Central Market.
- Members 1st Federal Credit Union will be offering a chance to win a $100 visa gift card inside Central Market.
- Reading of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas at Continental Square
- Arrival of Santa Claus -- Following the ceremony, Santa will visit with youngsters at nearby Martin Library.
- Craft activities with Martin Library staff (6:45 to 8:00 p.m.).
- NEW THIS YEAR: Every child who visits with Santa will receive a free photograph with Santa (6:45 to 8:00 p.m.). We thank Tyler Brown Photography for partnering with the City of York to make this possible.
>>>>> Scroll below to download the event map (revised 12/5/13) <<<<<
Event co-sponsors: MediaOnePA, WARM 103.3, and Members 1st Federal Credit Union
Street closings for Light Up NIght (4:30 to 8 p.m.):
Market Street will be closed from Beaver to Duke Streets
George Street will be closed from King to Philadelphia Streets
PARKING IS FREE IN THE PHILADELPHIA STREET GARAGE AND PARKING METERS AFTER 5 p.m.
*This year’s Continental Square Christmas tree was donated by Barb and Gary Walb of Manchester. Jackson Crane and Lobar Construction donated their services to assist with the removal and delivery of the tree.
Reminder: Light Up Night occurs on a First Friday, and many downtown shops, including Central Market, will have extended hours and special promotions. For more information, visit http://downtownyorkpa.com/first-fridays/
Important Reminder: Pets are prohibited within York City Special Event areas. Please do not bring pets with you.