Large Item Scheduling & Collection
To schedule a large item please call 717-843-1240
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Household items that do not fit the weight and size limits for regular trash are considered "large-items" and must be scheduled IN ADVANCE. York City refuse customers may schedule up to (5) household furniture/appliance items each week, as needed.
The following is a list of items that may be scheduled for large-item collection. Remember items must be scheduled IN ADVANCE.
- Bedframe (wood)
- Boxspring (with wood and material frame)
- Carpet (must be cut/rolled/tied to maximum 4’ length)
- Desk (wood)
- Infant car seat
- Record player/stereo
- Shelf (wood)
- Sofa, loveseat, stuffed chair
- Toilet, bathtub, shower enclosure
- Headboard/footboard (set); or wood bed frame
METAL (examples – mostly major appliances or large furniture):
- Air conditioner
- Bedspring (all metal, very old style, with no wood or material on it)
- Bed rails (set)
- Cart (metal)
- Cast Iron Tub
- Desk (metal)
- Grill (NO propane tanks, must dispose of privately)
- Hot water heater
- Lawn mower (must drain/remove fluids…gas, oil) (NO riding mowers)
- Refrigerator (must remove doors)
- Tires (on the rim only;tires from passenger vehicles only).
- Tires that are off rim (limit of 2) should be placed as regular trash and each tire replaces a bag of trash.
There are some items that will not be collected under the city's curbside program and which must be handled privately. These include, but are not limited to:
- NO items in cardboard boxes or bags (put items in bags for regular trash collection)· Cardboard boxes must be emptied/flattened/bundled and placed for recycling on the first collection day in your area.
- NO automobile tires that are larger than passenger-size vehicle tires
- NO TVs, Computers or items that plug into computer (i.e. monitor, keyboard, mouse, modem, etc).A PA law went into effect 1/24/13 which bans these items from collection/disposal. Customers must deliver them to an Electronic (E-Cycle) Program. Nearby Electronic Recycling Program: Provided through *YORK COUNTY SOLID WASTE AUTHORITY - York County RESIDENTS Only may deliver to YCSWA on Flour Mill Rd, in Manchester every week on Tues/Wed/Thurs 3:00 PM - 6:30 PM. This contracted service will be available thru the end of 2016. Other options are being looked into for the furture. For more information, contact the YCSWA at 717-845-1066 or www.ycswa.com (*New E-Cycle Program began 4/5/16)
- NO bricks, concrete, stone, dirt or the like (must be handled privately)
- NO building lumber/wood (must be cut/bundled and set as regular trash. Max: 3’ L; 40 lbs)
- NO car parts (hoods, fenders, doors, seats, batteries, etc. ) Exception: baby seats may be scheduled
- NO copy machines (must be handled privately) (Exception: table top/printer size only)
- NO garage doors (must be handled privately)
- NO HAZARDOUSE WASTE ITEMS (chemicals/stains)
- NO metal poles with concrete attached (must be handled privately)
- NO paint cans. (Seal cans tightly and place in regular trash bags/cans for regular curbside collection.)
- NO pianos/organs (Exception: child size pianos/organs may be scheduled)
- NO pool tables (Exception: child size game tables may be scheduled)
- NO propane tanks from gas grills (must be handled privately)
- NO riding lawn mowers (must be handled privately)
- NO shingles (must be handled privately)
- NO wood bundles (set these out as regular trash. Building type wood must be cut into bundles. Max: 3’ long and 40 pounds. Each bundle replaces a bag of trash in the bag limit.)
- NO contractor size bags and no large “toter” trash cans (or cans exceeding 32 gallons) for regular curbside pickup.
How To Schedule a Large Item For Collection
- What DAYS is your trash collected? Monday/Thursday (OR) Tuesday/Friday
- What is your ADDRESS?
- WHERE is your trash PICKED UP? Front, Rear (OR) Side
- What ITEMS are you scheduling for pick-up? (Limit of 5 items) (i.e. Sofa, Chair, Stove, Refrigerator, etc.)
- What is your NAME and PHONE NUMBER?
After all the information has been logged, you will be given a date for collection of your items. Large items may be placed at your designated collection point after 5:00 p.m. the day before and no later than 6 a.m. the day of scheduled collection.