Large Item Scheduling & Collection
To schedule a large item please call 717-843-1240
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Household items that do not fit the weight and size limits for regular trash are considered "large-items" and must be scheduled IN ADVANCE. York City refuse customers may schedule up to (5) household furniture/appliance items each week, as needed.
The following is a list of items that may be scheduled for large-item collection. Remember items must be scheduled IN ADVANCE.
- Bedframe (wood)
- Boxspring (with wood and material frame)
- Carpet (must be cut/rolled/tied to maximum 4’ length)
- Desk (wood)
- Infant car seat
- Record player/stereo
- Shelf (wood)
- Sofa, loveseat, stuffed chair
- Toilet, bathtub, shower enclosure
- Headboard/footboard (set); or wood bed frame
METAL (examples – mostly major appliances or large furniture):
- Air conditioner
- Bedspring (all metal, very old style, with no wood or material on it)
- Bed rails (set)
- Cart (metal)
- Cast Iron Tub
- Desk (metal)
- Grill (NO propane tanks, must dispose of privately)
- Hot water heater
- Lawn mower (must drain/remove fluids…gas, oil) (NO riding mowers)
- Refrigerator (must remove doors)
- Tires (on the rim only;tires from passenger vehicles only).
- Tires that are off rim (limit of 2) should be placed as regular trash and each tire replaces a bag of trash.
There are some items that will not be collected under the city's curbside program and which must be handled privately. These include, but are not limited to:
- NO items in cardboard boxes or bags (put items in bags for regular trash collection)· Cardboard boxes must be emptied/flattened/bundled and placed for recycling on the first collection day in your area.
- NO automobile tires that are larger than passenger-size vehicle tires
NO TVs, Computers or items that plug into computer (i.e. monitor, keyboard, mouse, modem, etc).A PA law went into effect 1/24/13 which bans these items from collection/disposal. Customers must deliver them to an Electronic (E-Cycle) Program. Nearby Electronic Recycling Program: Provided through *YORK COUNTY SOLID WASTE AUTHORITY - York County RESIDENTS Only
Bring electronics to the Authority’s FREE RESIDENTIAL electronics recycling program EVERY Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 3:00 PM to 6:30 PM at the collection site located on Black Bridge Road in the parking area directly across the street from the York County Resource Recovery Center located at 2651 Black Bridge Road.
For more information, contact the YCSWA at 717-845-1066 or www.ycswa.com (*New E-Cycle Program began 4/5/16)
- NO bricks, concrete, stone, dirt or the like (must be handled privately)
- NO building lumber/wood (must be cut/bundled and set as regular trash. Max: 3’ L; 40 lbs)
- NO car parts (hoods, fenders, doors, seats, batteries, etc. ) Exception: baby seats may be scheduled
- NO copy machines (must be handled privately) (Exception: table top/printer size only)
- NO garage doors (must be handled privately)
- NO HAZARDOUSE WASTE ITEMS (chemicals/stains)
- NO metal poles with concrete attached (must be handled privately)
- NO paint cans. (Seal cans tightly and place in regular trash bags/cans for regular curbside collection.)
- NO pianos/organs (Exception: child size pianos/organs may be scheduled)
- NO pool tables (Exception: child size game tables may be scheduled)
- NO propane tanks from gas grills (must be handled privately)
- NO riding lawn mowers (must be handled privately)
- NO shingles (must be handled privately)
- NO wood bundles (set these out as regular trash. Building type wood must be cut into bundles. Max: 3’ long and 40 pounds. Each bundle replaces a bag of trash in the bag limit.)
- NO contractor size bags and no large “toter” trash cans (or cans exceeding 32 gallons) for regular curbside pickup.
How To Schedule a Large Item For Collection
- What DAYS is your trash collected? Monday/Thursday (OR) Tuesday/Friday
- What is your ADDRESS?
- WHERE is your trash PICKED UP? Front, Rear (OR) Side
- What ITEMS are you scheduling for pick-up? (Limit of 5 items) (i.e. Sofa, Chair, Stove, Refrigerator, etc.)
- What is your NAME and PHONE NUMBER?
After all the information has been logged, you will be given a date for collection of your items. Large items may be placed at your designated collection point after 5:00 p.m. the day before and no later than 6 a.m. the day of scheduled collection.