York City Council
101 S. George St.
York, PA 17401
P.O. Box 509
York, PA 17405
Weekdays, Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Council Staff: Dianna L. Thompson-Mitchell, City Clerk
Notice: Please see "Notable Documents" at the bottom of
this page for information on:
2. York Building Products' Curative Zoning Map Amendment Request
3. 2014 City Council Budget Hearings
4. Gamewell opt-in/out proposed amendment (to appear on Council's 12/17/13 agenda)
5. Portable Toilet fees proposed amendment (to appear on Council's 12/17/13 agenda)
6. Mobile Food Vendors proposed amendment (to appear on Council's 12/17/13 agenda)
About the Council
The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by the Act of July 15, 1957, P.L. 901, has granted to the City of York and other third class cities of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the right to adopt a home rule charter and a new form of government and to exercise broadly the power of local self-government. The residents of the City of York have elected to be governed under the Mayor-Council Charter Plan beginning January 1, 1962. The Optional Third Class City Charter Law of 1957 permits the broadest power of local self-government consistent with the Constitution of the United States and of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
The legislative power of the City Government is vested in and exercised by Council and in accordance with the Optional Third Class Charter Law of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Every Legislative act of Council is done by Ordinance or Resolution. City Council enacts all laws of City government and authorizes expenditures of City funds. The Council is comprised of five members, elected at-large, with members serving four year terms. The Council assembles on the first Monday of January following the regular municipal election to reorganize and elect a president to preside over meetings and peform other duties as prescribed by the Council.
Legislative sessions are held on the first and third Tuesday of each month, except when such Tuesday is a legal holiday observed by the City Government, summer recess, or when the general and/or primary elections fall on such Tuesday, then the regular meeting will be held on the following day or on such other day as the Council shall designate. Council may also meet on other days and times as posted. For information on Council actions, meetings, and/or ordinances, or to appear before the City Council, contact the City Clerk at (717) 849-2246.
Upcoming 'City Council Meetings' Events
|12/10/2013||6:00PM||Council Budget Hearing|
|12/11/2013||6:00PM||Council Budget Hearing|
|12/17/2013||6:30PM||City Council Meeting|
|12/18/2013||6:00PM||Council Committee Work Session|
- Gamewell Opt-in/out Proposed Amendment
- Portable Toilet Fees Proposed Amendment
- Mobile Food Vendors Proposed Amendment
- 2014 COUNCIL BUDGET HEARINGS
- BOOTING REV. 10-21-13
- CURATIVE AMENDMENT DOCUMENTS (York Building Products)
- STRATEGIC COMPREHENSIVE PLAN 2030
- REQUESTS FOR PROCLAMATIONS//COMMENDATIONS
- 2008 MUNICIPAL RECORDS MANUAL