Dating back to 1749, The York City Police Department continues to serve a diverse population within an urban environment located in South Central Pennsylvania. Police officers enjoy a quality work environment with competitive salary and benefits packages. The mission of the York City Police Department is to serve our community with respect, fairness and compassion. We are committed to the prevention of crime, the protection of life and property, the preservation of peace, order, safety and enforcement of laws and ordinances while safeguarding constitutional guarantees. We invite you to join us in this challenge.
Interested candidates are directed to www.yorkpolicejobs.org to create an account and complete an application between 12/8/17 - 2/13/15.
Internal Career Opportunities Include
York City Drug Task Force
York County Quick Response Unit (Tactical)
York County Negotiator Response Team
Traffic Crash Reconstruction
Crime Scene Investigator
Advancements to civil service ranks of Sergeant, Lieutenant and Captain
The York City Police Department tests in cooperation with the Metoplitan York Police Testing Consortium. This Consortium allows applicants to test within 12 or more agencies within York County at one time. Interested applicants can go to the Consortium web page (www.yorkpolicejobs.org) and follow instructions.
Continue to Serve.....with the York City Police
- Application Process
1. Create an account on
2. Cost of application is $ 50.00, see website for instructions on payment.
3. A test study guide will be issued after completion of application.
4. Sign - up for one of two dates to take the written exam.
5. If written exam is passed successfully by candidate, the next step is the oral examination. Instructions will be given to candidates upon successful completion of the written exam.
6. If oral exam is passed successfully by candidate, a notification will be made and the candidate will be placed on an eligibility list.
There are 12 York County Police Departments that participate in the consortium. Each department hires officers as their budgets and needs dictate.
1. Once an eligibility list is created, the York City Police Department adds 15 % to the total score of the written and oral exam for qualified veterans, per civil service and third class city code mandates.
2. Each department will have their own eligibility list based upon their mandates.
3. A background questionnaire will be sent to candidates on the eligibility list.
4. When a position of police officer is open, the York City Police Department will choose from the top 3 candidates. Veterans on that list may not be skipped per civil service mandates.
Once a candidate is in the top 3 and a position of police officer is open, the following steps will be next in the process.
1. Pass the standardized psychological test (MMPI)
2. Municipal Police Officer Training and Education Commission physical fitness test
3. Pass vision and hearing screening
4. Pass a medical physical