YCPD AWARDS and RECOGNITION
Every year, the York City Police Department holds an awards ceremony to recognize officers and community members who have gone above and beyond the call of duty to protect the citizens of York City. Various awards are given based on the level of action.
- Medal of Valor
The Medal of Valor recognizes the performance of an act which is clearly beyond the normal requirements of a position; reflects credibility on the City of York; clearly involves great personal risk; and would, if an error were made in the course of performing the act, make the individual's survival highly questionable.
Click on the picture to view past recipients
- Award of Merit
The Award of Merit is presented for a specific act involving personal risk or exceptional judgment. In cases involving personal risk, the risk need not be of the extreme nature required for awarding the Medal of Valor, but it must be clearly beyond the normal requirements of a position. In cases involving exceptional judgment or initiative, they must be clearly outstanding and such that, had they not been exercised, undesirable consequences would have followed.
Click on picture to view past recipients.
- Mayor's Medal of Distinction
The Mayor's Medal of Distinction is awarded to an employee who has rendered distinguished service; demonstrated an exceptional degree of good judgment, initiative, and competence in his or her field of endeavor; and has sustained this record or outstanding service over a period of years.
Click on picture to view past receipients.
- Wound Bar
- The employee must have been actively engaged in the performance of his or her duties when the wound or injury was sustained, and it was of sufficient gravity to require hospitalization.
- The wound or injury resulted from a felonious assault, fire, explosion, or similar cause.
- The wound or injury did not result from the employee's negligence or violation of procedures.
Click on picture to view past recipients
- Police Officer of the Year
Click on picture to see past receiptients.